[solved] LIGGGHTS 3.0.1 pair_gran missing

PaulWinkler's picture
Submitted by PaulWinkler on Thu, 04/17/2014 - 10:44

Hi,

thanks for the new release, compiling with vtk and mpi support seems to work on Ubuntu/Mint again (using Mint 16/Cinnamon). Sadly the main feature, the granular pair style isn't working. First I tried the standard config, adding jpg and png support with an modified ubuntuVTK make file. Compiling runs smooth, but checking the the resulting executable with 'liggghts -h' it does not consist support for the pair style granular. The style_contact_model.h contains a lot of GRAN_MODEL, so there is no problem. Checking the stderr of make, there are some problems with pair_gran_base.h in the way of
../pair_gran_base.h: In member function ‘void LAMMPS_NS::PairGranBase::read_restart_settings(FILE*) [with ContactModel = ContactModels::ContactModel >; FILE = _IO_FILE]’:../pair_gran_base.h:102:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘size_t fread(void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
Can anybody please explain what's going wrong? The attached files summarize the output.

Regards,
Paul

AttachmentSize
Plain text icon stdout.txt140.43 KB
Plain text icon stderr.txt130.71 KB
Plain text icon liggghts-h.txt5.85 KB
Plain text icon style_contact_model.h.txt10.72 KB
aaigner's picture

aaigner | Thu, 04/17/2014 - 13:26

Hello Paul!

Just test any pair/gran example. If they work, everything is fine.

The option liggghts -h (in lammps.cpp) does not contain the pair/gran, because the gran-styles are not included in style_pair.h. With LIGGGHTS 3.x the internal handling of the granular styles was seperated from all the other pair_styles. (You can find this in the force.cpp in the function new_pair)

The 'problem' with pair_gran_base.h is only a warning. This should not affect the functionality.

Bests
Andreas

PaulWinkler's picture

PaulWinkler | Thu, 04/17/2014 - 18:25

Hi Andreas,

thanks for the advise, actually all seems to be fine now. Since 3.0.0 and beta are not running in a correct way, I had not much hope... But I should know, never trust a .0 ;-)
Ok, I realized, that the granular pair style works a bit different from the ones which are included in LAMMPS. I am happy now version 3 is running!

Regards and happy easter!
Paul

aaigner's picture

aaigner | Thu, 04/17/2014 - 22:40

Hi Paul,

For our internal repository I added the output of available granular styles (normal, tangential, surface, cohesion, and rolling models) to the help message. Hopefully, if Christoph agrees, it will find its way to the next public release. :-)

Happy easter!
Andreas