Mac OS X 10.6 install

Submitted by paulbrumby on Tue, 06/01/2010 - 05:20

Dear all,

I wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to run LIGGHTS on Mac OS X 10.6 using the terminal (downloaded with the developer tools)? If so, could you please let us know step-by-step how you preformed the installation?

I seem to be having problems with the required packages, in particular I am unable to find a version of fftw3-devel which will install on a mac. I am told it is required for the fftw.h header file and I see the program fails after I type "make mac" with the message:

fft3d.h:164:18: error: error fftw.h no such file or directory
make[1]: *** [pppm.d] Error 1
make: *** [mac] Error 2

I have fftw-3.2.2 installed but this doesn't help. Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received :)

Best wishes,

Paul

paulbrumby | Tue, 06/01/2010 - 07:45

Sorry, I was a little bit too quick to ask for help. I should have looked more around the forums first. After reading Som's reply in another thread I see that one can use the "myFedora11" make file instead and this works well with intel macs. I also downloaded the latest version of liggghts (1p0p2) which may have helped. I still cannot see a way to use fftw so I must leave that set to -DFFT_NONE for the moment.

ckloss's picture

ckloss | Tue, 06/01/2010 - 09:01

Hi Paul,

asking for help is ok. 2 colleagues of mine have also complied LIGGGHTS under Mac OS, so if you have questions maybe one of them can answer them. Are you sure you need fftw - this is typically needed for long range electrostatics?
If yes, you can post to the LAMMPS users mailing list http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=lammps-users because it is more likely that people there are using fftw with mac. If you manage to compile LAMMPS with fftw, you can then do the same with LIGGGHTS

Best,
Christoph

paulbrumby | Tue, 06/01/2010 - 11:17

Hi Christoph,

Many thanks for the reply. I realise now that I do not need fttw as I am interested in contact forces only, thank you for explaining this. I should be able to make some progress now. I will play around with the code and eventually I hope to be able to introduce LBM flow calculations, from what I have read this seems like a good code to make additions to (I guess in a similar way to the current CFD-DEM code).

Best regards,

Paul