LIGGGHTS 3.0.0 released

ckloss's picture
Submitted by ckloss on Thu, 01/23/2014 - 20:42

LIGGGHTS 3.0.0: (released 23 January 2014)

Changes from LIGGGHTS 3.0.0-beta to LIGGGHTS 3.0.0:

+ Introduced a new contact_distance_factor (replacing contactHistoryDistanceFactor) in neigh_modify, which can be used to increase the range of granular neighbor lists.
+ Improved a couple of things "under the hood" as compared to LIGGGHTS 3.0.0-beta
+ LIGGGHTS 3 features major mesh optimizations vs. 2.3.8, particle-mesh neighborlist building has been optimized by Richard Berger (JKU)
+ Andreas Aigner (JKU) updated the fix mesh/surface/stress servo implementation, with improved stability and the ability to operate in direction of an arbitrary axis
+ There were also a couple bookkeeping changes in the epsd rolling friction model, and the epsd2 model which was missing in the beta release was added. Thanks again to Andreas Aigner (JKU) for this.
+ Fixed a communication bug that could arrise when using tricilinc boxes: thanks to Stefan Radl (TUG) and Yile Gu (Princeton) for detecting this
+ Added a more restrictive check for the #atom types defined in create_box vs. length of vector in and fix property/global. Thanks to Rouven Weiler (BASF) and Tom Simmons (TUBS) for bringing this up
+ Fixed an issue with fix property/atom/tracer that prohibited restarting of a simulation with the same fix parameters. Thanks again to Rouven Weiler (BASF) for the note.
+ Fixed a bug where changing pair style upon restart had no effect.
+ Fixed some omissions/typos in the manual. Thanks to Chris Stoltz (PG) for the note.
+ Fixed an issue when using fix insert/stream and reset_timestep could lead to divergence of the simulations.
+ Made the "invalid fix style" error message more verbose, telling the user which fix command causes the issue.

Backward comaptibility:

No restart backward compatibility to LIGGGHTS 2.X
Input script syntax was changed. Details to be found in doc/liggghts_3.X_tutorial.html

keepfit | Sun, 02/09/2014 - 04:42

Hi MiRa,

I am afraid that the multi-sphere feature will be released in the near future since I asked this question nearly 2 years ago, even though I have access to a commercial DEM code, which supports full functionality such as non-sphere particles, force chains Visualization, GUI etc.

I think you can give a try with "fix rigid" command.

Cheers,

David