Inquiry About Installing LIGGGHTS on Ubuntu 20.04

Submitted by Yeasir Mohammad Akib on Wed, 06/08/2022 - 09:06

Hello,
I am a new user to both Ubuntu and LIGGGHTS. I am using ubuntu 20.04. I am facing the following problem during the installation. May I know where is the problem going on?

lm_lab@slmlab-VirtualBox:~/LIGGGHTS-PUBLIC/src$ make auto
Creating list of contact models completed.
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/slm_lab/LIGGGHTS-PUBLIC/src/Obj_auto'
Makefile:945: *** 'Could not determine suitable appendix of VTK library with VTK_INC="-I../../lib/vtk/install/include/vtk-8.0", VTK_LIB="-L/home/liggghts/vtk/lib" and VTK_APPENDIX="-8.0"'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/slm_lab/LIGGGHTS-PUBLIC/src/Obj_auto'
make: *** [Makefile:114: auto] Error 2

Best regards,
Yeasir Mohammad Akib
MS Student
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Edinburg, TX, USA

Yeasir Mohammad Akib | Thu, 06/09/2022 - 01:38

I am getting the following error. Can you please have a look?

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
build-essential is already the newest version (12.9ubuntu3).
libopenmpi-dev is already the newest version (4.1.2-2ubuntu1).
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
python3-vtk9 : Breaks: python3-vtk7 but 7.1.1+dfsg2-10.1build1 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

mschramm | Sat, 06/11/2022 - 18:20

Hello,
Looking at the errors again that you are receiving, it appears that you tried linking a user compiled version of vtk-8 but when you tried installing vtk-7, it had dependency issues because it saw a vtk-9 install.
Have you already installed vtk-9? I issued a pull request some time ago for a fix that allowed vtk-9 to be installed (the make auto file simply didn't check for vtk-9 and only went up to 8). If you have vtk-9 installed, you should just need to comment out the hard library links in your Makefile.user file.

Yeasir Mohammad Akib | Sun, 06/12/2022 - 00:52

Should I build and make VTK 8.2.0 in the LIGGGHTS src folder?

Kuralay | Fri, 02/10/2023 - 10:22

I am trying to install CFDEM coupling. But to work with LIGGGHTS I will need vtk files. At first, I installed them using cmake from this site http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Configure_and_Build
But it seems to me that it didn't work. Then I wanted to install vtk automatically using a Makefile.user . But nothing came of it. vtk files have been downloaded but they don't work.