Implementation of the Thornton/Ning contact model LIGGGHTS v3.8.0

Bias's picture
Submitted by Bias on Wed, 06/20/2018 - 10:47

Hi,
I'm interested in using the Thornton Ning contact model that was implemented in release 3.8.0 in LIGGGHTS. I also read in the release post that "currently there is no doc yet, this will hopefully be in the next release.". Is there anywhere I can read about the implementation of the contact model?

I guess its based on the model described in the article "A theoretical model for the stick/bounce behaviour of adhesive, elastic-plastic spheres" by Thornton and Ning 1998.
What I now got stuck on is parameter "Yield ratio" which is required for the contact model. I don't understand why this is a input parameter instead of the limiting contact pressure and how to calculate it.

Best regards
Tobias Eidevåg

kuhsteak | Mon, 05/20/2019 - 14:04

Hello Tobias,

i am also interested in using the Thornton Ning contact model.
I can find the files and use it with random parameters. I wonder if you found more information in regards to the parameters.

Side Question: If i want to change the contact model the only changes that are happening are in the contact model header file right?

Best regards
Thomas Kugele

PerB | Tue, 08/11/2020 - 11:03

Hi!

Im interested in using the Thornton&Ning contact model and wonder if there is anyone with updates on this? Someone know some documentation or examples of the syntax in LIGGGHTS?

BR
Per