Point Gaussian tool not available in paraview 5.4.0

Submitted by matthi on Mon, 02/12/2018 - 10:47

Dear collegues,

I installed paraview5.4.0 on an ubuntu system coming with OpenFOAM 5.x. Missing the Point Sproite tool (which I used in my former installation) I found the information that this is no longer available and one should use the Point Gaussian tool. However, the Point Gaussian tool is not available in the list of "presentation" (properties panel) and is also not available in the list of manageable plugins.

Additionally, in "/opt/paraviewopenfoam54/lib/paraview-5.4" no library containing this tool can be found.

The search in the WEB yielded no results ...

Has anyone the same problem or a solution for this?

Greetings Matthias

richti83's picture

richti83 | Mon, 02/12/2018 - 18:04

This depends on which openGL backend is selected in cmake (advanced, VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND) step. When it is set to opengl1 no point gaussian is made BUT as far I remember the kitware team removed the point sprite plugin code from source tree too. So you have 2 options: update to 5.4.1 with openGL2 (the binaries at kitware.com are fine) or copy the PointSprite plugin from an older source tree into your local source tree and enable it in cmake step ([x] PARAVIEW_BUILD_PLUGIN_POINTSPRITE).
I would prefer option 1 as building paraview can be tricky and is time consuming.
I guess you used the OpenFOAM make_paraview bash script to perform this step ?

I'm not an associate of DCS GmbH and not a core developer of LIGGGHTS®
ResearchGate | Contact